Sunday, March 04, 2012

MySQL Troubleshooting by Sveta Smirnova

I believe a lot of people who works with Information Technology, they know MySQL. Anyway, A lot of companies use it. For example, Facebook, maybe your company!

I wrote this article. I don’t want to talking about MySQL history. I just wrote about a book, MySQL Troubleshooting What To Do When Queries Don't Work by Sveta Smirnova.
Why I interest in this book. It likes when you interest/work with something. You rather want to know how to install, upgrade, maintain, perform, manage, tune and … troubleshoot it. Troubleshooting, that’s important.
MySQL Troubleshooting by Sveta Smirnova, that provides the background, tools, and expert steps for solving problems from simple to complex - whether data you thought you inserted doesn’t turn up in a query, or the entire database is corrupt because of a server failure. With this book in hand, you’ll work with more confidence.

I rather interested in this book. I expected a lot for something new what I learn about troubleshooting. This book has 7 chapters. On the chapter one, It’s explained the simplest about something what I should know before; SQL syntax, MySQL command, some variables and etc. On the chapter two, “You are Not Alone: Concurrency Issues” – Concurrency is important for Database. This chapter is helpful for it. What I learn? For example: Lock and Transactions, Matadata Locking, Monitoring InnoDB Transaction and Concurrency Problems, etc. I believe a lot of DBAs see the lock/concurrency problem. It’s good chapter, that‘s helpful. Anyway, MySQL has a lot of options/variables, So It’s necessary to learn about them. The chapter three, I learned about some options/variables, that effect with database. Good!

That was a little from this book. I rather believe this book is useful for someone who works with MySQL as DBA or Developer.

In this book, it has a good paragraph arrangement. It helps readers easy for reading. It has a lot of examples. It's easy-understand. I think readers can read and practice in the same time. Anyway, I still believe this book be able to figure readers out for MySQL Troubleshooting idea. By the way, You can read Free Sampler.

What I hope to see more? On the Chapter 4 "MySQL’s Environment", I think It's better to add more examples. Maybe, about OS command-line to help for Troubleshooting :)

No comments: